June 2023: Welcome to the alpha release of TYPE III AUDIO.
Expect very rough edges and very broken stuff—and daily improvements. Please share your thoughts.
Azeem’s Picks: Sam Altman on How GPTs Are Shaping Our AI Future
Effective Altruism Forum (All audio)
Audio narrations from the Effective Altruism Forum, including curated posts and other great writing.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is dominating the headlines, but it’s not a new topic here on Exponential View. This week and next, Azeem Azhar shares his favorite conversations with AI pioneers. Their work and insights are more relevant than ever.
OpenAI has stunned the world with the release of its language-generating AI, ChatGPT-4. In 2020, OpenAI CEO Sam Altman joined Azeem Azhar to reflect on the huge attention generated by the precursor to GPT-4 and what that could mean for the future research and development toward the creation of artificial general intelligence (AGI).
They also explored:
- How AGI could be used both to reduce and exacerbate inequality
- How governance models need to change to address the growing power of technology companies
- How Altman’s experience leading YCombinator informed his leadership of OpenAI
- “The messy, secretive reality behind OpenAI’s bid to save the world“ (Wired, 2020)
- “Sam Altman’s Manifest Destiny“ (New Yorker, 2016)
- “Governance in the Age of AI“ (Exponential View Podcast, 2019)